Are you a compassionate, self-directed and responsible person? Then nursing is for you! The PN program integrates theory, lab and clinical experience to give graduates the necessary knowledge and skill base to prepare for the National Council Licensure Examination for Practical Nurses (NCLEX-PN®).
CALC's Practical Nursing program is a 15-month program requiring attendance full-time, 30 hours per week from 8:15 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Monday through Thursday. The terms are comprised of four 15-week terms and one 5-week term. This final term provides a comprehensive review to prepare students for the NCLEX-PN.
For clinical experiences, the student needs to be available 24/7 during the program. Breaks and holidays are scheduled periodically throughout the program. This program is offered only at the Alton, IL campus. Please Contact our Admissions Office for more information about class times and the admissions process.
- Meet with Admissions at the Alton campus and complete an application. For your convenience, print out the PN Program application, complete and bring to your admissions appointment.
- Submit application (download PDF below), including transcripts and references
- Register for and take the TEAS® Entrance Exam
Requirements to apply to the Practical Nursing Program
- 18 years of age or older
- Proof of High School Diploma or GED
- Please contact our Alton, IL campus at (618) 474-0616 for further information about this program.
Practical Nursing - Course Outline
Term 1 Courses
- PN101 - Medical Terminology
- PN102 - Anatomy and Physiology
- PN103 - Essential Math for Pharmacology
- PN111 - Fundamentals of Nursing
Term 2 Courses
- PN123 - Introduction to Computers
- PN120 - Pharmacology
- PN121 - Lifespan Growth & Development
- PN122 - Practical Nursing I
Term 3 Courses
- PN124 - Psychiatric Nursing
- PN125 - Practical Nursing II
- PN130 - Electronic Health Records
- PN131a - Nursing Care for Older Adults I
Term 4 Courses
- PN131b - Nursing Care for Older Adults II
- PN132 - Maternal - Child Nursing
- PN133 - Community Health Nursing
- PN140 - Issues & Leadership for LPN
Term 5 Courses
- PN145 - Clinical Review